20 April 2011

Springtime in Gascony

There's nothing quite like Springtime in Gascony. It happens overnight. Suddenly, the afternoon temperatures soar, the trees turn green,the flowers bloom and the bees buzz in a deafening chorus.

Our sleepy little village awakens with the first morning light. Still snug in my cozy bed I listen to the birth of the day. A car revs up and drives off, the first sound to break the silence. Down at the local farm there's an unidentified engine whirring while the cows - brown, long-horned Salers and parchment white Charolaises compete with the plaintive braying of donkeys.

Through my open window the scent of tree blossom and roses wafts on the cool air and a Nightingale arouses the Black Caps and the Blackbirds in a magical chorus that will continue throughout the day.

Downstairs, my two miniature Yorkies are awake and having their daily spat while waiting impatiently for doors to be opened and dishes to be filled.
I'm out of bed, filled with renewed vigour and inspiration for the next novel, which I've only just started to write.

As usual, things get in the way, I'm sidetracked by the unexpected. This morning it was a surprise visit by a worldly-wise seven year old French boy who had decided to come and say "Bonjour". Seven, going on seventeen, and as big as a ten year old, was fascinated to see inside an English home, enchanted by Candy and Toby, and full of questions for my husband, Brian, who speaks no French! And the house is at its most unclean, most untidy state and the French friend and neighbour Louis came with is ultra house-proud - certainly great competition for the legendary Mrs Bucket - or is that Mme Bouquet!

So, here it is getting on for midday and a quick lunch before I keep my appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon who will, I pray, sort out my knees without resorting to surgery. So, little writing will be achieved today, though I am more than pleased to tell you that Chapter Two is underway and I have at last sussed out the route of the story - possibly my most challenging yet, spanning 100 years. A veritable saga!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be delighted to hear from my readers and anyone interested in my artwork.